Firefly Chats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rapid Fire Ficcing

+2
wytchcroft
Bytemite
6 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Rapid Fire Ficcing - Page 5 Empty Re: Rapid Fire Ficcing

Post  ebfiddler987 Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:28 am

Oh, yeah, I remember that story by 2x2. That was a good one.

Mal's definitely the type to have home remedies for some of the common illnesses. Likely involving household items like baking soda or stewed weeds or roots or something of that kind. Simon's sense of conventional medicine is appalled, but when he investigates, he finds out that some of the remedies have a sound scientific basis. Others are just a load of hooey, but he acknowledges their placebo effect.

Did I mention that I also thought the part where Mal almost calls River "Wash" was particularly effective at highlighting just how out-of-it he is?

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:10 pm

Mal's response to Inara's presence in his bunk: incoherent mumbling. Not shown.

At least he's not hallucinating her.

Imagine, if you will, that patented hurt puppy look, combined with illness related misery. Inara's attempts to resist fussing over him fail.

Yeah, I'm sure he has some bizarre home remedies he believes in, though Jayne is probably the worst of them, because he tends towards superstitious. However, both Mal and Jayne, in typical Tough Guy fashion, believe that alcohol is a perfectly suitable substitute for painkillers. GR did one about that once.

New idea already brewing. I'm going to the fair tonight. Research will occur.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Inara glanced back at the ship, Kaylee tugging her along, and saw Mal smirk back almost self consciously and wave her off from the loading ramp. She had no clients booked, and it was a rare shore leave for the entire day. Everyone had scattered into the sparse aspens and maples, seeming determined to take advantage of even the modest shopping and entertainment offered on this little autumn world. Except for Mal, who made an excuse about staying behind on watch instead of joining them.

She looked over little beaded trinkets with the girls, admiring the workmanship, and even selected a particularly striking glass etching of a crane and river rushes. Eventually, her curiosity overcame her, and she parted from them with a smile, and walked the leaf-strewn path back from town on her own.

After looking around Serenity, with a growing certainty and annoyance, there was only one place left where the captain might be. She huffed outside her shuttle door, and composed herself, then stepped in.

As expected, he had completely ignored their longstanding broken agreements and had invaded her privacy while she was absent. But she stopped herself short from scolding him; he was asleep, stretched out on her long couch as though he had a claim to ownership. She wondered, he had not startled at her entrance, normally so alert she could rarely sneak up on him. Did he rest here often, looking for peace and quiet as much as the usual fighting? He found it, she supposed, and did not disturb him.

Later, as she settled at the table, discussing the day with the crew, she exchanged a look with Mal as he passed through - an accusation, an embarrassed apology, and understanding. Perhaps she would allow this.

Last edited by Bytemite on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:48 pm; edited 4 times in total

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  ebfiddler987 Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:48 pm

Oh, I like this!
Bytemite wrote:
After looking around the Serenity, with a growing certainty and annoyance, there was only one place left where the captain might be. She huffed outside her shuttle door, and composed herself, then stepped in.
Mal finds serenity in Inara's shuttle. So perfect.

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:46 pm

(EDIT to next page)

Last edited by Bytemite on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:49 pm

I read in a companion book that Nathan actually used to go take naps in the shuttle part of the set whenever he wasn't needed. So this is almost canon from my perspective.

Geez, there were a lot of grammatical errors in that post. I think I've fixed them now. But that's what I get with rapid fire fics. It's about trying to get the words to come out and not spending too much time on it.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  ebfiddler987 Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Oh yeah, I remember reading that, too! I agree, practically canon.
And hey, it's rapid. Little errors no big deal.
I have been distracting myself today by writing a short fic about Mal's parents. I don't know what hit me -- I was going to work on Ends with a Horse, or maybe make my notes on Inara's backstory presentable (as per your request, Byte), but then this idea popped into my head and begged to be written down. It's not complete yet, but maybe I'll post what I have written so far. I think under fanfic, rather than rapid-fire, as it's getting too lengthy for this thread.

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:53 pm

(The Gift - They don't have much. But they have each other.)

The dreams of Serenity often lingered into the morning. Sometimes they snarled from the corners, sometimes they glittered like snowflakes. River followed the orchestra and looked out from a grand and gleaming balcony.

She saw all of them celebrating together. The ghosts of the past, the present, and the future mingling with the day's fancies. Her brother and Kaylee, dressed like they were attending the finest winter ball on Osiris. Wash spinning his laughing daughter in the air, little ballet shoes danging under his arms. Zoe looked on nearby with a tenderness she shared only with them. The Shepherd clapped along, and even the captain danced a turn. He clasped hands with Inara, a dulled metal band on his finger, sunlight shining from a stone on hers.

They're the most fortunate souls in the verse, and the most ill-fated. She knew it well - too much. River's luck was the cruelest of them all. She has been freed from the first and only disappointment she'd ever experience in her life, with only a scrambled mindful of fear and noise for her trouble.

"Too dangerous," she announced.

She knew why Simon was seeking her, the sorrow in his eyes because he would have to tell her that they couldn't go to the Sabacc Theatre House on Paquin. Too much heat, hounded from the same spree that paid for the tickets. Instead they'd spend the night here instead, with family. She explained to him, in her own way, and her brother felt so inadequate and ashamed, wincing in his eyes even as he smiled at her understanding. "Yes River. I'm sorry, we can't go."

Hers was genuine. "It's okay, Simon," she said. "The ballet is better from here. Best seats in the house." She didn't mind, because Simon was so smart. He already had an idea, hurried back up the stairs and enlisted help to give his sister the performance he'd promised. Scenes from the Nutcracker, with cortex music tinny over the intercom, and none of them knew the steps. They never did. But they'd play their parts. Even Jayne would mock and disrupt and play the Mouse King.

Every gift was hard-earned and bittersweet. Painful. Forever grateful. They hurt, and were made whole. This was the last time she'd see them all together, and for one night, River wanted to keep dreaming. And that was everything to her.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  ebfiddler987 Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Bytemite wrote:and for one night, River wanted to keep dreaming.
Love, love, love that line! It means so much to her, when her dreams are usually so bad.
Also, I see the gunmetal band on Mal's finger, inspired by Intopaper's fic, I do believe -- love that detail.
Lovely to have all nine (ten) characters included in this little fic.

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Oh yep. Definitely the gunmetal band was inspired by that one, but I wanted to go a different route for the ring Mal gave Inara. I think he would splurge with all the money he had to get her the nicest ring he could afford, because he might think anything else he could give her wouldn't match up.

But the sentiment about Mal giving Inara something from his past or from back home is really pretty.

All nine, and thanks to River future sight, Wash and Zoe's baby at the same time.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Wed May 21, 2014 6:07 pm

Wow, been a while.

So I have a snippit of text from Fury that I'm not sure works so I've decided to make it into a one shot.

This plays off the new comics, explaining where Inara's makeover comes from.

= = = = =
Inara was stumbling, her fussy sandals not well suited for the long walk away from the crashed mule they'd stolen to throw off the law. The captain watched her askance and caught her as she almost went down. Well, at least they were far enough away that he didn't think they'd be caught, maybe he could slow down the pace.

Inara took the initiative to push away from him and put herself on her feet. She seemed to be waiting on him for something, patiently, and with no small exasperation. A pointed message in her eyes, a hint that he finally got, and then she accepted the arm he offered her with as much dignity as she could muster.

He felt ridiculous. Walking right into that ambush and having to come up with another spur of the moment getaway, that was nothing to this. He was used to all the mundane humiliation and bad luck and trivial injuries that followed him. She wasn't, and never should be. Yet here she was, walking with him like the prettiest girl at the dance. He'd just have to live up to the moment. He could be gallant. Really. "All right in those bitty shoes?" he asked. "Hurts my feet just lookin' at 'em."

A long breath. "Fashion advice? From you?" Her voice was pure annoyance about the whole situation. Her dainty fingers plucked at his sleeve. "What would you suggest? Boots? Body armor? A holster?"

"Wouldn't dream of it," he lied, trying to dispel the sudden mental image of her gone space pirate, before she could catch on to the direction of his thoughts, even though somehow she always gorramn knew. "Not really up on the latest styles."

They were quiet a while. "Zoe asked me to look out for you today."

His first mate couldn't have helped him this time, not even if she wasn't pregnant. "You did just fine. This was on me," he admitted. "Really, I should've been watchin' out more for you."

She stopped short, the suddenness of it pulling at his arm. She raised an eyebrow at him, not impressed. "Oh? You think I was the one who needed help?"

He shook his head at her. "This ain't your job." Technically she didn't HAVE a job, not since the Guild kicked her out. Her eyes flashed dangerously and he winced - that was still a sore point for her.

"It is now," she decided stubbornly, and started to drag him along back in the direction of Serenity. "At least until Zoe can take over again. If she even wants to."

"Wei," he objected, "I'm not that much trouble."

She sighed at him. "I guess I'll have to look into that body armor idea after all."

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  ebfiddler987 Thu May 22, 2014 8:52 pm

Oh how nice!  Some activity here on this board. Very Happy 
Well, I was a bit surprised by Inara's makeover in the comics, but I like how you've worked with it here.  Makes sense that with the comics' developments that, first, she is no longer in the Guild, and second, Zoe is definitely in no condition to accompany Mal on jobs, that Inara would step up.  Her clothing always was a little bit much for day to day ship activities, and this little short gives a nice rendering of a Straw that Broke the Camel's Back type of situation.  Nothing like trudging a long distance in impractical footwear to cause a person to make new resolutions!
Plus, nice Mal and Inara dialog.  I love you

Last edited by ebfiddler987 on Fri May 23, 2014 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed it so it said what I meant!)

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Fri May 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Inara's pretty good at being diplomatic, so she might be able to keep him out of too much trouble. The body armor is a good idea though if she's going to be the interim first mate.

I loved her makeover in the comics, because it showed a side of Inara that too many people in the fandom overlook. Inara isn't actually a pampered or spoiled person, she can deal with hardship like the rest of the crew and she LIKES adventure.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum