Firefly Chats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! with Titles

3 posters

Go down

Help! with Titles Empty Help! with Titles

Post  ebfiddler987 Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:49 pm

Do you find that Chapter and Story Titles are really hard to come up with? I do!

In fact, I would like your help with in figuring out the title for my next story. All ye multitudinous masses who inhabit this site (yes, all two of you Wink -- or are there more? and you just haven't said anything for a month or more?!?) I would be most appreciative of your opinions.

The story follows one called "What Begins with an Apple." That story has a signature phrase in it: "What begins with an apple must end with a horse." This line, of course, was supposedly said by the Oracle at Delphi, about the Trojan War. (Apple of Discord, goddesses fight over it, Paris gives it to Aphrodite, Aphrodite gives Paris Helen of Troy, Helen's husband is PO'ed, starts a war. Which ends some 10 years later with the Trojan horse being brought into Troy, the city razed, etc.) So, my story "What Begins with an Apple" is of course followed by one that...um...ends with a horse.

So...

Should it be called "Ends with a Horse" ? Is this a stupid title?
"Must End with a Horse" ? (That's the way I phrased it in the signature phrase. But see above, under "stupid title")
"High Flight" ? (The scene I posted under that title here, belongs in this story. And there is flying, a fair amount of it, featured in the action plot thread of the story.)
or some other title?

Any thoughts?

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Help! with Titles Empty Re: Help! with Titles

Post  Bytemite Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:48 pm

Well, I don't think it's a bad name because it's the second part of the thematic sentence you have going. "Ends with a Horse" seems fine. But, let's see, brainstorming. You could use other Trojan War and Illiad phrases instead. Achilles Heel, if it applies. Or maybe a reference to that other myth about Angus you've been using. "Swan Song," since there may be swans.

Or perhaps idioms about war itself. "All's Fair"?

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  ebfiddler987 Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks. Always good to have an infusion of fresh thoughts, since I've been...um..."beating a dead horse" for a while here, thinking about the title. The document, of course, has a working title on my computer, because it has to, and I won't even mention it, because it is even stupider than anything I've mentioned here. Many of my stories have really, really lame working titles, and occasionally they get posted without any improvement, because I can't think of a better title.

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:20 pm

Objects in Space was named after a cool sounding quote from that episode.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 pm

the Horses tale?
tale end?
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  ebfiddler987 Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:15 pm

wytchcroft wrote:the Horses tale?
tale end?

Hahaha Laughing

Maybe I'll go with 馬屁 Mǎpì (horse's ass) lol Twisted Evil
(But maybe people wouldn't understand that I'm being self-deprecating and read it as an insult.)

Last edited by ebfiddler987 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : what I said)

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:41 pm

ebfiddler987 wrote:
wytchcroft wrote:the Horses tale?
tale end?

Hahaha Laughing

Maybe I'll go with 馬屁 Mǎpì (horse's ass) lol Twisted Evil
(But maybe people wouldn't understand that I'm being self-deprecating and read it as an insult.)

well, horses ass has a lovely 1920's/30's dorothy parker ring to it!
what would gift horse be?
but 馬屁 + pun = very firefly. Cool
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:25 am

Ooh, I like A Horse's Tale. Lots of puns come to mind.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum