Firefly Chats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossovers!

3 posters

Go down

Crossovers! Empty Crossovers!

Post  Bytemite Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Yes, yes, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Crossovers are rarely comprehensible or worthwhile reading, though as a spoof of the contributing storylines and sheer comedy they have some value.

Here's one that AnotherSky came up with: Firefly x Dune

Various fairytales would also be amusing, likely with River slinging conditional magic and curses everywhere. I'm also certain that in this version the girl listens to too much Tchaikovsky and Inara transforms into a swan every now and then.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Crossovers! Empty Re: Crossovers!

Post  wytchcroft Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:12 pm

Bytemite wrote:Yes, yes, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Crossovers are rarely comprehensible or worthwhile reading, though as a spoof of the contributing storylines and sheer comedy they have some value.

Here's one that AnotherSky came up with: Firefly x Dune.

well, not so much of a stretch i guess; give Inara the same abilities as River and you basically have a Bene Gesserit. River has been called a witch after all - and the Guild are already like something from the Duniverse.
Also Whedon has stated his love for Frank Herbert's work which itself is already a colossal influence. e.g. it influenced Star Wars - which influenced Firefly etc. which is a perfect circle. wheels within wheels. River put that Krys-knife down.

me, i wanna see Serenity transport a hold full of roller-derby players in an epic crossover with Whip It.

wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Roller derby women WOULD make their space ball game more interesting...

I suggested to Anothersky that maybe Inara and River are wearing coloured contacts to hide the tell-tale signs of spice addiction.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:45 pm

Bytemite wrote:Roller derby women WOULD make their space ball game more interesting...

heck yes!

I suggested to Anothersky that maybe Inara and River are wearing coloured contacts to hide the tell-tale signs of spice addiction.

Ok, rapid fire time; Inara and River 'Lost Contact'. go! do! (as La Rouka might say)
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Pppht hahaha.

Inara walking around with her hand over her eye, looks up at Mal. Mal blank stare. "Uh... what?" and then Inara, slightly annoyed, "I lost my contact..."

But, and I mentioned this one to anothersky too: Inara comes clean about being a member of a group of spy-witches that have been organizing a secret selective breeding program for all humanity and who have been controlling religion back on Earth and in the verse for millennium. And then Mal asks her if she's currently "undercover." Cue eyeroll.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Bytemite wrote:Pppht hahaha.

Cue eyeroll.

which, not easy given the contact issue.

Inara comes clean about being a member of a group of spy-witches that have been organizing a secret selective breeding program for all humanity and who have been controlling religion back on Earth and in the verse for millennium.

b'waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! bounce
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:38 pm

This begs the question, have they chosen Mal for the breeding program for some reason (ha, not likely!), or is Inara running from her obligations?

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  ebfiddler987 Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:38 pm

Ha, ha, Firefly/Dune! Man, it has been sooooo long since I read Dune. The Guild = Bene Gesserit, oh yes. I will always remember, though, when I was in high school, one of my friends announced that she would no longer read Dune, because (I forget exactly now, it was either Gurney Halleck or Stilgar), one of them was clearly stated as having *lost an arm* and then later described quite specifically as using self-same missing appendage for plot-critical action. After that I never looked at Dune in quite the same way again. Same as I had trouble reading Lord of the Rings after I read Bored of the Rings. And have never been able to look at Star Trek the same after watching Galaxy Quest. I guess I love spoofs. That is why I sometimes read and enjoy Firefly/Castle crossovers. The whole notion is just ridiculous! But that's the entire reason why they're fun to read -- unless the author starts taking themselves too seriously.

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:14 am

ebfiddler987 wrote:Ha, ha, Firefly/Dune! Man, it has been sooooo long since I read Dune. The Guild = Bene Gesserit, oh yes. I will always remember, though, when I was in high school, one of my friends announced that she would no longer read Dune, because (I forget exactly now, it was either Gurney Halleck or Stilgar), one of them was clearly stated as having *lost an arm* and then later described quite specifically as using self-same missing appendage for plot-critical action. After that I never looked at Dune in quite the same way again. Same as I had trouble reading Lord of the Rings after I read Bored of the Rings. And have never been able to look at Star Trek the same after watching Galaxy Quest. I guess I love spoofs. That is why I sometimes read and enjoy Firefly/Castle crossovers. The whole notion is just ridiculous! But that's the entire reason why they're fun to read -- unless the author starts taking themselves too seriously.

i must admit; i want to read the Dune crossover now. i'm intrigued.
As for the arm gaff; most likely that was in one of the post-Frank faux-Dune things that other guy cranks out. Otherwise, wow - i never noticed and i've read the damn books a bunch of times now.
But also, yeah, must admit i'm with you on the spoof thing; i've never looked at the three edifices of Rings, Dune and Trek in quite the same way since.
Bored of the Rings is a lot better than Doon though, but still... same effect.
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Dune and Firefly both have self-fulfilling prophecies sometimes. Though I object to how Dune becomes all about justified tyranny and genocide in order to save the human race from an energy crisis by scattering them to inbreed themselves into extinction. It appears to be a flawed premise.

Also somehow the stories would have to somehow be happening concurrently, maybe through deliberately lost history in the Dune verse except via the genetic memory. Because otherwise Mal and co would be dead by the time of Dune beginning, and would have contributed to bringing about that bad future.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Bytemite wrote:Dune and Firefly both have self-fulfilling prophecies sometimes. Though I object to how Dune becomes all about justified tyranny and genocide in order to save the human race from an energy crisis by scattering them to inbreed themselves into extinction. It appears to be a flawed premise.

Many strange ethical issues in the Duniverse for sure.

Also somehow the stories would have to somehow be happening concurrently, maybe through deliberately lost history in the Dune verse except via the genetic memory. Because otherwise Mal and co would be dead by the time of Dune beginning, and would have contributed to bringing about that bad future.

Well, they could be Gholas or Tleilaxu.
Burgess does have a touch of the proto-Harkonen about him. And Atherton Wing is played by the same actor that played Duncan.

wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Hmm... What if Firefly takes place AFTER humanity scattered at the end of Dune? they've regained some of their history but lost other parts. There are other humans in the galaxy, and either through the alliance or as a scheme to overthrow it, they introduce Spice.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum