Firefly Chats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Bad Fic Report

3 posters

Go down

The Bad Fic Report Empty The Bad Fic Report

Post  Bytemite Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:02 pm

I am reading through the "So bad it's good" fanfic list at tvtropes looking for appealing gems, but in the meantime, I'd like to inform you that not one Firefly fanfic made the list.

I can't confirm whether any Firefly fanfics made the "So bad it's horrible" list, but that's probably for the best. In all actuality both the lists for the good-bad fanfics and the horrible fanfics are probably somewhat distasteful and a little unfair to the writers in question.

Not that I feel particularly sensitive about it. I am entertained, it is enough for me, even if it wasn't in the way that the authors intended.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

The Bad Fic Report Empty Re: The Bad Fic Report

Post  wytchcroft Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Bytemite wrote:I am reading through the "So bad it's good" fanfic list at tvtropes looking for appealing gems, but in the meantime, I'd like to inform you that not one Firefly fanfic made the list.

I can't confirm whether any Firefly fanfics made the "So bad it's horrible" list, but that's probably for the best. In all actuality both the lists for the good-bad fanfics and the horrible fanfics are probably somewhat distasteful and a little unfair to the writers in question.

Not that I feel particularly sensitive about it. I am entertained, it is enough for me, even if it wasn't in the way that the authors intended.

it would be nice to think of firefly fan fic as being a cut above; but although i've always found a large amount of the quality there's always some horrible lurking around. The only thing that still irritates me is the sort of instant fic where it feels like the writer could be farming it to any number of fandoms with only a character name change needed to do so.
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Yeah, but you know, compared to some of the truly horrible stuff I know is out there, even the all bolded Zoe torture rape baby fic isn't as bad as SOME.

I mean I've read stuff like vore just for the laughs. Vore. Fetish. Comes from "carnivore." We're talking fanfiction where for some reason one character is like a dragon or a naga or something, and they eat their "lover," and then the victim cuts their way out of the stomach of the predator, who is just fine after that, and this is the basis of a sound and healthy relationship.

Once you've delved into the truest depths of fanfiction, bad Firefly fanfiction really ISN'T all that bad comparatively.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:35 pm

Although yes, I have also seen bland name replace fanfiction. Some of it plagarized from another author on another fandom. and it's often bad or out of character.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:01 am

Bytemite wrote:
Vore. Fetish. Comes from "carnivore." We're talking fanfiction where for some reason one character is like a dragon or a naga or something, and they eat their "lover," and then the victim cuts their way out of the stomach of the predator, who is just fine after that, and this is the basis of a sound and healthy relationship.

merciful Buddha! ok, so now i am seeing at least two Whedon products
Spoiler:
in a whole new way. thank you - and pass the brain-bleach! erk!
No

Once you've delved into the truest depths of fanfiction, bad Firefly fanfiction really ISN'T all that bad comparatively.

is this... benevolence i'm feeling? or just relief?

hmm. i may have to import a Daria icon up here soon...
suddenly - it's a fic fab world!

wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  ebfiddler987 Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:06 am

There is truly some weird stuff out there. I guess I'll stick to good ol' Firefly, and just *stop reading* if it veers in the directions you've indicated. "vore"?! (*shudders*) (*bleck!*)

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:26 pm

Sorry. There's no horror greater than the realization that some of this stuff exists and that other human beings wrote it. I had to use one of the weirder ones to illustrate my point about Firefly fanfiction.

There's some even WORSE stuff out there, the absolute dregs of horrifying and unrealistic fetishes, but I won't talk about those, the vore is weird enough.

Firefly is fairly safe, you do get some of the questionable torture or rape fics, even some Simon/River incest. But I haven't seen any Reaver/crew member vore out there, so I have to conclude that people with those interests aren't really into this fandom.

I worry that sometime someone might drop in with a stinker of a troll fic though.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:03 pm

There was a fic I was reading once that did start to get towards badfic territory in that it was far too focused on torture. Simon gets caught by the Blue Hands, basically.

But it actually wasn't until well after that, when Simon reveals that he cuts himself habitually and Jayne takes this as a sign that Simon's going Reaver that I gave up reading it. Still, I wouldn't call it bad badfic, in that the writing was okay grammatically and it had some valid premises. It's more the execution just kind of became ridiculous.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  ebfiddler987 Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Oh, I think I may have read that one, or one like it. It was pretty good for a while, other than I thought Kaylee was a little OOC (too whiny, too self-centered). But then when Simon turned out to be a cutter, it just went too far. And the torture, too. I like angst fiction, generally speaking, but more as it feeds into drama, rather than angst-horror, which is not so much
my cup of tea.

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:21 pm

It was either that one Kaylee was whiny in, or one about a InaraxMal/Simon triangle that was actually pretty good, but eventually Kaylee being out of character - when she was in focus anyway because she was usually ignored - got to be too much.

But yeah. I think I remember she was pretty whiny in that one. Just to make things even more difficult for Simon. Also he was mute for a while because they cut out his tongue or something?

I don't know, could also be different fics. After some time the ones that go over the top with Simon torture start to blend together.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum