Firefly Chats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transport (pt 1 of 2)

4 posters

Go down

Transport (pt 1 of 2) Empty Transport (pt 1 of 2)

Post  wytchcroft Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:46 am

ok so this is pretty much all that i could find on my lj; and chapter two's been deleted. the plan is to prod myself into knocking out the next chapter from memory - all part of trying to re-accustom myself to the 'Verse - which would make it the first fic i've finished in a lonnnnnnnng time.

it's definitely 'firefly lite' but, since most of my stuff is obscure & pretentious complicated & dark, seemed it might be as well to start with the (i hope) funny, aiming fto raise a smile is all.

if you have read the chapter over on lj, my apologies; this is a slightly corrected and better (again with the hoping) draft.
given the length i do appreciate that folk might not find the time to read it.

but if you do... my confidence is shot so be kind or be quick or whatever. *gulp*
cheers!

Pt.1.

The sun was setting now like a hungover tongue lolling behind the broken metallic teeth of a dozen wrecked vehicles, pieces of machinery; motors, wings, doors, wheels and what-not, all piled up into a crude semi-circular wall, with many more strewn across the sandy space of the yard itself.
Not an easy place to walk straight across - from the gate to the crumpled looking shack of an office. Not without tripping over something.

And Captain Malcolm Reynolds did seem to keep doing that.

Still, transport...

Funny, thought Mal to himself, how transport was so often the basic issue. Every man needs transport - everyone got a mind to go... someplace else.
Yes, basic. Transport.

'Course transport meant money, the need for money, so - coin.
Coin was the basic issue so often.

And coin, naturally enough, lead to guns. So, guns it was then - underneath and always it did seem so, most everything came down to guns.
Yes, basic. Guns.

Didn't need to be a Tam blooded spook-in-boots to do the maths on that, and in some ways Mal was grateful to Horace Norbett for getting right down to it.

"Yep," he said out loud now as his elbow connected with the back of some lackey’s skull,
"You tell old Horace I appreciate him skipping the bureaucracy on this one. One thing in life I find I truly cannot abide..."
He ducked for an instant as a shot careened overhead and came up again with his own pistol blazing, there was a sore sounding yelp from a ways off.
"...and that is red tape."
He shot the man again for good measure. Maybe he wouldn't regret sending Jayne off to try the North-side Township after all.

All this over transport... Well, it was his own fault for figuring Horace might actually have something to deliver other than ordnance, but hell, they needed a new mule - and they weren't so easy come by.

Jayne Cobb looked deep and manfully into the wide brown eyes set deep into the face before him. A low and unsettling rumble had started in his gut and a hot blush was spreading up under the hairs on his back, down his arms and across his face.

Gorram it - this was love, he knew it on the instant, same intimate feeling he felt when he first held Vera in his arms.
This was real and powerful and - gorram it! - if Mal or Zoe or some such saw him like this... well, he'd be humped.
The brown eyes blinked softly back at him.

There was a touch on his arm; it was the boy who that had introduced them. Skinny runt with a eager face - but right now Jayne was glad to know him.
"You like her. I can see it plain," the boy smiled up - with an open palm.

Jayne had never minded paying for love - his hand was reaching into his pocket – and hell, most folk just wanted a little sugar.

"That -" Jayne said in a low voice, "is the most beautiful mule I ever saw."

The brown eyes he was still gazing at blinked again - and this time there was a loud and delighted bray to go along with it.

"Oh, you think?" Inara was leaning back against the wall of the Serenity flight deck. She had been smiling but a moment before, and savouring the taste of a lychee, but now it was back to the norm of scornful eyebrows and folding her silk wrapped arms in order to subtly clench her fists.

"Actually I don't." Wash grinned back at her, leaning round from the leather pilot seat. "No thinking required."
"Bless you dear." Standing behind him, Zoe gave Wash a friendly pat on the shoulder. "He has faith in my judgement." She smiled at Inara.

Wash gave a breathy chuckle. "I have faith in our Captain's ability to find reckless danger and predictable peril - then the pain, the shooting and OW! No, Lamby I trust your judgement too!"

Zoe released his shoulder. This time the smile she gave Inara had just an edge of steel. "Guess this Lady will take her highly prized judgement - And some weapons, naturally,"
"Naturally..."
"- into a shuttle and go bring the Captain back."
There was a pause.

Yep.

But someone had to say it. "What about Jayne?"

There was a pause.

Uh-huh.

"And some weapons, naturally, into a shuttle and go bring the captain back." Zoe repeated.

"Good plan honey!" Wash agreed enthusiastically.

"Transport. Exactly." Shepherd Book nodded at Simon across the galley table and over the remains of a quick lunch and a not so quick read; his battered Bible was open in front of him - and like a nervous twitch his hand kept straying to it, waving as if at some invisible insects.
Opposite him, Simon Tam looked thoughtful, whilst his sister smiled back at the Shepherd, whose fingers twitched again.
"When St Teresa felt the presence of God, she was transported... her soul was in a state of transport."

Simon gave a small shake of the head. "I don't, I'm not - I mean... no disrespect Shepherd, but as a doctor I can tell you exactly the chemical reactions that make up that 'state'. And after how many centuries - science still has not proven anything like a soul, we can't -"
"Not quantifiable." River chimed in.

Her brother looked pleased, not because she was agreeing, but because she was so clearly following the conversation. All too often it was painful for him to see the relative lucidity of their moments alone, unravel outside of her room.

Book's face wrinkled slightly in a typical half-amused look.
"And if Moses was in the bullrushes you wouldn't have found him with a microscope," he said.

Simon was beginning to get his debating motor running. "But there's just no way - like River said you can't, when there are no dimensions to a thing then it only exists in the imagination."
He smiled at his sister - this was almost like the old days, back on Osiris, showing themselves off before their Father.
"You can't measure what doesn't exist."

Book smiled. "But the soul is meant to be unknowable - you can't capture it in a test-tube or look on a chart and say, 'the average soul is" -
"Nine calories of fat, no carbohydrates and 64 calories of protein." River pressed a slender finger into the table top.
"What?!?!?!?!?"
"On average," she muttered.

Simon's mouth moved up and down - and half his face was pointed at Book, the other half at his sister.
"Mei-mei, I don't -?"
"I believe she is talking about fish." Book offered.
"Fish?" Simon was still bewildered, "But "-
"Yes, girl," Book soothed, "There are a lot of fish in the Bible."
"But how do you even KNOW that?" Simon peered at his sister with concerned intensity.

River flinched back. "It's in the gorram cook book!" Her voice was pitched in mimicry - and Book shifted in his seat, embarrassed at the accuracy; that girl got everywhere, even the private cooking lessons he was giving Jayne.

"Absolutely!", Mal blustered, "I knew there was something fishy from the get-go; I aint one to conduct business without back-up!"

Serenity’s captain was not at his most convincing, and in consequence the reaction he got from the men, beginning now to surround him, was a mite less than worried seeming, fact it was more in the way of being openly gleeful. There were guffaws he noticed, fair few of them.

"Back-up?" The man called Horace, Horace Norbert was shambling into view now, his worn figure spot-lit by the reflected sun off a battered panel. He suited the place, looking as he did like a child's drawing of a scarecrow, all wrong sized clothes, hands and head. The voice was a strong one.
"As in plan? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong Captain - but it is normal for back up to indicate a modicum of strategy, that being the meaning of a plan, which is to say, thinking."
Ouch.

"Them's fancy words Horace."

The man in the ragged black coat and wide brimmed hat was getting awful close now.
"Seems only fair Captain," Horace yelled back. "You got some fancy shooting in."
"I guess I did at that."
"Quick on the trigger."
"Practice is all, Horace."
"You as quick at re-loading?"
Norbett gave a wide handed signal and the men rushed out from their hiding places - no need for cover now.
"Nee ta ma duh tyen-shia suo-yo duh..."

One thing for sure now, Reynolds can swear awful fast, I give him that, Norbett thought, as his men wrestled Mal to the ground.

end of pt 1.
………………………………………………………………..
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Transport (pt 1 of 2) Empty Re: Transport (pt 1 of 2)

Post  ebfiddler987 Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:48 am

Ah, yes, Mal and negotiations: certain words were exchanged, and also, certain bullets. So characteristic how he walks into it, pretty much knowing that Plan A isn't going to work. Good thing Jayne was already tracking down another lead on a mule. Hahahaha, lol! on that one. Brown eyes and love at first sight. The little scene on the bridge with Inara, Wash, and Zoe was fun -- I'm so immersed in a post-BDM more-or-less Wash-less world in my fic, that I sometimes forget how much fun it is to have him alive and interacting with the other characters. "her soul was in a state of transport" -- another scene that evoked much snickering -- River's caloric analysis was especially hilarious. Nice transition to the final scene, with the "fishy." Mal's back-up plan: "We could talk more." Didn't work so well for him in the "It's Never Easy" comic, and it doesn't look to be any better this time. I enjoyed the many moments of humor, and noticed the thematic words tying the varying sections together. Also, lots of little details that evoke atmosphere: like the lychee. This was good fun, a very nice build, and now that you've got Mal thoroughly into the deep goushi, it's clear that you *must* write Chapter Two and post it soon.

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:07 pm

ebfiddler987 wrote: I'm so immersed in a post-BDM more-or-less Wash-less world in my fic, that I sometimes forget how much fun it is to have him alive and interacting with the other characters.

this. i realise in retrospect that my post-bdm fics are in need of a good Wash... but at the time i was sort of relieved; he's hard to write!
but - he's fun Smile getting to try him out, along with Shepherd Book has been a plus. Jayne still alludes me, but what can ya do? hopefully in a joky piece like this it matters less.
Eek! i have to 'fess up; i don't know that comic - thought i'd read them all but... what happens in it, when is it set???

OK, now the big THANK YOU! Honestly? your comment is better spirited and more fun to read than some of the fiics out there in the black that i've come across! i really appreciate the boost! this is not much like my usual stuff so it's good to get the green light for such cartoon indulgements.
cheers!

Last edited by wytchcroft on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pardon my paltrow)
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:37 pm

New story!

(Sorry, I didn't have access to the internet for most of yesterday. Will read now)

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  ebfiddler987 Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:44 pm

wytchcroft wrote:i don't know that comic - thought i'd read them all but... what happens in it, when is it set???

"It's Never Easy" (released this May for Free Comic Book Day) in a nutshell: (spoilers, obviously)

(Post-BDM) Serenity lands on an undisclosed Outback of a world. Zoe is noticeably pregnant. Everyone except Mal goes into town. While alone at the ship, a stranger comes up to Mal and offers to buy the ship. Mal says no. The guy then wants to take passage on Serenity. Mal, in an OOC moment, is completely unsuspicious of this stranger. The stranger pulls a gun and announces he's stealing the ship. Mal, in another completely OOC moment, forgets that he's armed, and that he's a quicker draw and a better shot than most people. The other guy shoots him in the shoulder. It looks bad for Mal, who still doesn't remember that he's armed and could return fire. Suddenly River appears and saves the day. Turns out she didn't go into town with the others. Everybody turns up to find Mal's been shot again. They all give him a hard time about it, in their usual fashion. The End. Rolling Eyes

I'd rate it as "Firefly Lite" and a worse story than many a teenage fanfic. On the other hand, it's completely PG and I actually let my daughter read it, which I haven't let her do for any other Firefly shows/stories/comics.

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Transport (pt 1 of 2) Empty wot the fic?!

Post  wytchcroft Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:51 pm

i had a reply but my daria morgendorffer voice failed me. Suspect
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:53 pm

The transitions in this are so fun. It's very fluid. And the and the jokes and the characterizations - Jayne getting mixed up about mules and Mal getting into trouble again - This is firefly.

As a side note, also in It's Never Easy, the crew of Serenity took on/stole a horse, so Jayne browsing for living breathing mules may not be out of the realm of possibility.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Bytemite wrote: This is firefly.

well i wrote this back in 2008 so the test will come with chap 2... eek! hello rusty crew interactions!
but i'm sure glad it didn't seem too dumb - especially now i know about that fic, sheesh - i thought they stopped at Downtime. i do allow for some OOC in humorous stuff but... and so, tell me; how is Mal about Zoe - and how is her pregnancy advancing? and what is the post-bbdm universe like according to the comic???

(and believe me, i appreciate you reading and commenting on the above Smile )
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Zoe's pregnancy is fine. She was maybe at five or six months in It's Never Easy.

Mal is uncertain and has no idea how to approach or deal with pregnant Zoe. He seems uncomfortable - he's not quite a jerk to her, and he's making a rudimentary effort at showing concern for her pregnancy and unborn child, but it's also clear he doesn't seem to know what to think or feel or what to do about all this.

There may also be other things that Mal is struggling with (guilt?), he doesn't even try to defend himself against an armed assailant.

Zoe is somewhere between amused and completely unsympathetic to Mal's various dilemmas. When Mal gets shot (of course) everyone except Inara and Kaylee treat it like a joke.

It was impossible to determine what Zoe's long term plans are. There is a suggestion that Zoe expects that River may be protecting Mal in the future, and not Zoe.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:30 pm

that's a heap of maybes, suggestions and uncertains - guess Joss had his phone switched off that day.

but it is interesting.
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:33 pm

To be fair, I have no idea what each stage of a pregnancy looks like, and I'm guessing it's something like five or six months. She was HUGE in Float Oat and wearing some kind of billowy maternity dress, in It's Never Easy she was still able to kind of fit into her pants but had an extended belly.

And the ending of that comic is pretty ambiguous.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  ebfiddler987 Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:47 pm

Bytemite wrote:I'm guessing it's something like five or six months. She was HUGE in Float Oat and wearing some kind of billowy maternity dress

As someone with experience in the maternity department, I'd say the way she was drawn was 6 to 7 months, maybe even 8, but I think it was "artistic license" just to make it clear to the most mind-numb that she's pregnant. So I'd put it at 4 to 5 months, story-wise.

Zoe in a tropical-print maternity mumu, anyone? Very Happy

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:03 pm

In Float Out I thought she was nine months, I mean I thought it was 5 or 6 months in It's Never Easy.

...But I like your interpretation because I like a short time interval between It's Never Easy and Float Out.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:38 pm

i guess they're making sure to leave room for Serenity's direct BDM sequel in case that happens in some format c/o Joss.
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:51 pm

When I read Shepherd's Tale that was EXACTLY my hope, and I was afraid of that hope that it should prove unfounded.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:54 pm

Bytemite wrote:When I read Shepherd's Tale that was EXACTLY my hope, and I was afraid of that hope that it should prove unfounded.

...And so that hope was locked in a box and dropped deep in the heart of Reaver country.

Funny, i hear there's a lot of dropped boxes out there.
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:03 pm

The Reavers consider it a holiday, and then exchange those boxes and gifts. Only there are no boxes or gifts. Only rape.

Help, I'm stuck in Chainsaw Tam mode.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Mears Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 am

You got a saint in! Bravo!

Have you changed this at all, since 2008? It's structured very tightly - a good thing. I thought you had all the characters' voices down pat. I always think it's brave and amazing when someone manages to get them all into a fic at the same time. Favourite scene - Book, River and Simon, cos twas funny.
Becky Mears
Becky Mears

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Becky Mears wrote:You got a saint in! Bravo!

Have you changed this at all, since 2008? It's structured very tightly - a good thing. I thought you had all the characters' voices down pat. I always think it's brave and amazing when someone manages to get them all into a fic at the same time. Favourite scene - Book, River and Simon, cos twas funny.

that scene is my favourite, in fact i should have swiped it for a better story.

as a whole, the fic is almost identical to the 2008 version over on lj, amazing though how much difference in quality it makes just tightening the dialogue and improving the description a little. oh wait - that's called better writing. d'oh!
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum