Firefly Chats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercy shall follow

5 posters

Go down

Mercy shall follow Empty Mercy shall follow

Post  wytchcroft Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:41 am

Truly, the shepherd thought, one hand resting on the Bible, so does a Man become a Book and the Book becomes a Rock.
Through the slats in the plastic blind, Derrial had a good view of it. And Upon this rock I build my...

He missed the girl, River, a young woman, lest he forget. Though most days, back on the ship, she had terrified him, plain of it was she pretty much spooked everyone else too; so, no great admission there.

All the same, he had abandoned his post, left the girl, left Serenity behind. For this – Haven.

“Maybe it’s redemption I’m offering...” Serenity’s captain at his most devilish, lazy insolence in the slow spread of a grin, the thrust of a jaw, a cheek, “A shot Preacher, come on, take your best one.”

And he had.

“I don’t mind that you hit me,” Mal told him later, matter-of-factly.

And ok, maybe dreams had exaggerated the memory some, but didn’t make it right. And there’s no devil in the garden Captain, just us beasts. And I don’t give a hump how innocent you are. So where does that leave -

Me?

“Can’t help but wonder on that myself,” the Mal voice in his head as so often.

I don’t know exactly.

“That be a weakness you’re admitting to.” Book could picture the glee in the captain’s eyes; point scored, point taken.

“Not a weakness Captain,” the shepherd would have countered, “more a willingness.”

And the tea is just awful. He picked up the cup, took a cold sip, put it down again. I miss my confessor.
Where was she now, the shepherd wondered, still on Serenity? Was Inara the conscience keeper there, for Mal, in his absence?

“Oh because he listens to me so much more. Not.” Inara would be as forthright about that as she was discreet about... what needed discretion. He started to lift his cup again. Well, I’m an old man with jangled nerves and too many voices in my head. Where is that still voice of calm?

Where was it ever? And really, wasn’t it the sound of playfully raised voices and excited running feet that he missed? A joyful noise?

“I do try and see it that way,” Mal, with a finger in his ear and a pained expression, “just the hearing needs a little work.” Clatter, screech, crash, surprise! “Yep, that’ll be River I’m thinking.”

The shepherd in the now, surprised by his own smile, turned to face the mirror. One quick look before going out to organise the quarry and the men and the mining and the what-in-the-hell-else Haven would require today. “Getting paunchy, old man,” he said, “but not too shabby.”

Sucking in his belly for self-mocking effect and sweeping his white dreadlocks into place, one finger caught on a twist of paper. It was one of the pieces from his Book, River had torn out passages from his bible, “Fixing it”, she’d said. He had kept as many as he had found. And some, yes, he wore in his hair. No/one noticed.

He opened the tiny scrunch and read, Mercy shall follow.

...“Huh.”

Best go meet it then.

And with that thought, Derrial Book strode to the door, and went through it and out to greet the day.

Last edited by wytchcroft on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:51 am; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : can't spell won't spell)
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Mercy shall follow Empty Re: Mercy shall follow

Post  Bytemite Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:47 am

Oh, this was excellent. Smile

More later but I particularly liked this line:

"Well, I’m an old man with jangled nerves and too many voices in my head. Where is that still voice of calm?"

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  gilliebeans Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:00 am

Oh, yes! What a treat, thank you so much:)

The line about "no devil in the garden, just us beasts" I think is particularly Jossian. I can hear it in Shepherd's voice so clearly. Also deeply wise. As is his willingness to admit he doesn't know and to be able to hold on to his serenity cat while owning the admission.

gilliebeans

Back to top Go down

Post  gilliebeans Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:09 am

Also, in Joss' spirit, who will Mercy turn out to be?

gilliebeans

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:31 am

thank you both kindly! i haven't scribbled anything firefly related in years - so it was rusty* fun to be riffing on the 'verse again.

as for Mercy... could be Mal, could be River, could be the Operative, could be... better - honestly, i have no idea, LOL, just popped into my head is all.

*mmm count those edits, count 'em! ha-ha.
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  gilliebeans Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:55 am

Mercy could also be a new character flower Popping up in the worst of circumstances, maybe it's not clear that he/she is to be trusted....another bounty hunter?

gilliebeans

Back to top Go down

Post  ebfiddler987 Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:27 am

Mercy, Charity...and those other virtues...probably as bad as Patience! sunny (I'm trying to find the winking emoticon, but failing, so hey why not randomly sunny?)

I particularly liked the concept of Inara as Book's confessor and as the conscience of Serenity.

Wytchcroft...where is your other Firefly fic posted and what are some of your titles, so I can look them up? Wink (found the wink. not appropriate here, but this is to make up for the one up there)

ebfiddler987

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:26 am

Oh, well, that's a nice Book fic indeed. Really great! You got him down just so!

Charlie
Admin

http://charlie-bz.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Oh gee, I just had a sad thought. What is this was the day the Alliance started bombing them? Ouch.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:29 pm

gilliebeans wrote:Mercy could also be a new character...

yes, that crossed my mind too, such a resonant name Smile but i really had not got past the basic quote; "Surely Goodness and Mercy shall follow to the end of my days and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
maybe it was talking about Nandi and her house compared to Mal and his ship that started me off... i dunno...

Bytemite wrote:Oh gee, I just had a sad thought. What if this was the day the Alliance started bombing them? Ouch.

it is indeed that day. Or at least - that was how i saw it. And btw, i am more than a little awed by the economic but flowing style of your fic, really a good, defined piece of writing.

and Charlie, thanks; i have a long way to go before i'll feel i've got Book's voice right, but it was fun to try. Damn - you made me break my no fic pledge already! LOL.

ps; apologies - my eyes are playing up again just now.
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:32 pm

D: That makes it even better, sadder but better.

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  wytchcroft Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 pm

ebfiddler987 wrote:

Wytchcroft...where is your other Firefly fic

eaten with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
wytchcroft
wytchcroft

Back to top Go down

Post  Bytemite Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:15 pm

I seem to recall a livejournal page?

Bytemite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down